Tuesday, April 16, 2013

GUEST POST: The Twins from A Scholar's Journey: The Divine Tempest


I am thrilled to have my very first guest post!

Hi there, my name is Herrick C. Erickson-Brigl and I am the author of A Scholar’s Journey: The Divine Tempest. Thank you for having me!

The twins Jadice and Aedan were surprisingly well received by reviewers thus far, so I thought that today would be a great time to talk about them. Both of the twins are officers in the white guard, an organization in the city that maintains law and order, which is also directly affiliated with Dol’ron the god of justice and retribution. Diametries is the speaker or voice of Dol’ron which gives him a lot of religious power and pull with the organization, which is the way the twins get involved in the first place. I created them to balance out Diametries who is the primary antagonist of the first book.

The twins were meant to give the reader a sense of true goodness that represents the city. Just because one of the high authorities is hunting these two, doesn’t mean that represents the organization as a whole.

I think of the two, Aedan is my personal favorite. I really liked writing his character because Aedan is a bit of a jokester like myself,  he  has brains and is an good person. Not everything quite clicks for him in the beginning of the story but over the course of the book he puts the real story together.  (How are Penndarius and Soren guilty? What really happened? Were they the perpetrators crime in the first place or victims?)  He also very quickly begins to question Diametries and the speaker’s own involvement.  He can think for himself and he isn’t just a loyal pawn, which I think adds credence to his character.

Jadice is the second twin and the larger of the two brothers. Another difference between the two is that Aedan is an officer through and through, while Jadice is also quite religious and worships the god of justice and retribution. Jadice has a different journey from his brother. I always envisioned Jadice, as a paladin (holy warrior) that slowly begins to question his faith. Throughout the first day/book you get to see how far Jadice will fall and he becomes a living example of what happens when someone gets caught in the middle of a power struggle.
I think one of the draws of these two characters is their sense of right and they would do anything to help those in need.  Through them, you see how the pursuit of justice in an unjust world can tear two siblings apart. 

This is my third guest post. If you want to check out the other two and some excerpts from the book, a link to the book tour page is below. Also, don’t forget to check out the Kickstarter to order your copy of The Divine Tempest.

Thank you for having me and have an absolutely fantastic day!
-        Herrick C. Erickson-Brigl

1 comment:

  1. I love your rating system!! That's so cooL!

    Hey, I started a new feature on my blog that I had a friend do a post for and i'm trying to spread the word about it!! It would be awesome if you would drop by and maybe leave a comment! A Guy's thoughts

    ReplyDelete